Friday, May 2, 2008

Thing 12-Podcasts

This is my second year of doing student podcasts at the middle school. The first year was very limited with one teacher participating. Students working in an elective class were writing poetry. They podcast their favorite poems and we linked them to their blog in classblogmeister.

This year, I've added more teachers and we are using core curriculum. Students read the book Life as we Knew It and then working in groups made a podcast commerical to sell the book. Each time I work with the podcasting and the students I learn new things about both the technology and the type and scope of projects that students can handle.

Listening to these new podcasts, especially by elementary age students, has given me a greater understanding of the possibilities for improving the podcasts at the middle school level. I was very impressed with the St. Raphael 6th grade students. These students live in the same city in which I work and are close in age to my students. They did an excellent job of organizing their podcast before they began recording. Go here to listen: http://www.straphael-gc.org/school/school_index.html I like the way they incoporated pictures into their podcast. If students were working in groups each student could handle another part of the podcast, writing the script, illustrating or recording the podcast. It would be a great way to differentiate learning.

Another great example of your students is from Long Elementary School. Go here: http://long.dearbornschools.org/podcast/Long%20Elementary/Mr%20Lindens%20Library/312EAE78-AD8A-464B-ADA1-908B1C173725.html

2 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

Both the San Rafael and the Dearborn podcasts are great local examples. Please check your link - something's not working.

Sew What's Up? said...

Wow! That was weird. I definitely need to view my post after saving it. I had no idea it was so messed up! Thanks~another lesson learned! :-)